Alex the African Grey Bird Quizby Jessica Pineda
What do you know about the late Alex, the African grey, the subject of Dr. Irene Pepperberg's studies on parrot intelligence? Take this quiz and find out!
1. Alex is actually an acronym. A.L.E.X. stands for what?
2. Alex was how old when he passed on?
3. Alex had mastered the correct use of how many words?
4. Dr. Pepperberg is now working with two other African greys. What are their names?
5. What did Alex call an apple?
Check Your Answers!
- Correct answer: B. Alex's advanced language and recognition skills revolutionized our understanding of the avian brain.
- Correct Answer: C. Alex was 31 when he died on September 6, 2007.
- Correct Answer: D. Alex had the use of around 100 or so words.
- Correct Answer: C. Dr. You can learn more about her three greys at The Alex Foundation.
- Correct Answer: D. Alex called an apple a "banerry," which Pepperberg thought to be a combination of "banana" and "cherry," two fruits he was more familiar with.
Featured image: Alex, from The Alex Foundation.